P mailed us all a link yesterday - Cassette from my ex-lover.
I read it this morning - accounts and fairy tale-like stories of women who've been gifted mixed tapes by their boyfriends. I remember those days too. The only difference was, i used to get my own mixed tapes recorded and gift them to myself. Yeah i know, i can see the 'L' blazing on my forehead.
But there was this one guy - incidentally, my first ummm...love - who put together a tape. And included a song in it that he completely detested, only because i liked it so much. I was touched.
They're all right, those women who shared their accounts and playlists with the world on the site/blog: first loves ARE something else. Mine lasted four years, and ended in him getting married to someone else. Sigh. Heartbreak High.
I must admit, though, those were some of the best years of my life. The sort of silly things we did, despite him being six years older. Those secret rendezvouses, the long walks in the nights (uh, no, we were never alone on these), the group outings with me travelling on his Suzuki Samurai, him picking me up sometimes and dropping me off to school (!) and later, college. I remember each moment so clearly after all these years, it seems like only yesterday.
I still have those mixed tapes. Just haven't gone back to listening to them. Perhaps i'm a bit afraid to open up Pandora's Box and let out all those things again.
P.S, here's the link: http://www.cassettefrommyex.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment