Wednesday, January 01, 2014

And a good year to you all.

In January, I lost a close grandparent. The same month, I found out that I would have to reconsider my work options. In February, I discovered that a relationship I had been struggling hard for didn't exist any more. I also discovered that it wasn't a recent development. In March, I discovered a distasteful side to myself. In April, I thought I was going crazy and briefly considered reaching out for professional help. 

May is when the Bhutan trip happened. It was my first two weeks of peace between an extended period of chaos. June is when professional life changed. Every month after that was full of fights on the personal front with the one person I care the most for. Every month was a struggle to find my footing professionally. 

A bout of travel happened.

Things started looking up. The author of No God in Sight got in touch through a review I had written on his book. The author of The Dream Chasers and I got into a Twitter showdown - I beat him at it, of course. The Adventures of Potli Baba got a couple of awards from fellow bloggers. Someone from Jet Wings got in touch to know if I could do a travel feature for them - in the end it amounted to nothing, though. 

In the beginning of the year, I was the insecure one, unknowingly giving some stupid psycho bitch of a woman power over me. Yesterday, though, she did something extremely stupid and in doing it, she not only relinquished the power she had over me but also gave me some over her. Turns out, she's the insecure one.

So yes, there isn't too much to redeem 2013 for me, but there have been a couple of turning points. But this year - starting today - is going to be entirely different. 

This is the year of me. 

I am reconnecting with the person I was, who got left behind in the dust raised by the stampede that's been my life this past year. I'm going back to get her, and this time she's going to stay with me.

No comments: