Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Greek Fish and Deja Vu.

I went to Spiga yesterday for dinner. I wasn't really sure what sort of ristorante it was, so i was pleasantly surprised at the cosy, laid-back atmosphere. Mood lighting, not too many tables, soft music, and to top it all, we got a table that was in a separate section, away from the crowd. Ideal setting for... depressing conversation. :-)

It so happened that RKK and i decided to go out for dinner, and after much research-cum-debate, we hit on this place. Now, he was sort of pining for a last look from his Lady Love (A typical balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet, if i may add. Except, she would be peeping out of a 4th floor window.), while i was longing for the company of a certain somebody who couldn't possibly have made it. I guess the mood just got carried along to the dinner table.

Then, when we reach the place, realise we only have cards and absolutely no money...it begins to happen.

Deja Vu...

Flashes from a past that's fled to the back of my mind, never to return...

A Naseeruddin Shah movie... a cobbled pathway leading to a restaurant on the first floor... passing a bed on display that i absolutely fell for... feeling light headed...apologising for not carrying enough money, so i had to be treated to dinner...

Just as soon as it came, it vanished. But not for long.

We got down to ordering food. I scanned the menu, decided on Greek Fish because it sounded appetising.

The service was quick, and we had just started on some conversation when the food arrived.

One look at the slivers of fish resting on a river of parmesan-mushroom sauce, with vegetables decorated around it..and we're back to where we had left off...

I had eaten the same thing... Greek Fish... I remember not finishing it because i remember feeling light-headed... and it wasn't just the aperitif i had ordered.

I remember the day because it felt like something was happening...maybe i was wrong. I wonder if i was the only one to feel that way?

To conclude: sometimes it's just very hard to get over things because they were beautiful experiences / phases of life and you want them to last. But when you realise you have no choice, you just have to let go. What remains of it are flashes of sweet-sour memories that strike you when you least expect them. A heady mix of Greek Fish and Deja Vu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nostalgia is a powerful thing. a memory of something is always more potent than the actual experience itself.