Thursday, November 02, 2006

"Oooooo, shiver me timbers!"

There's a new little 'rule' I've added to my everyday routine: complimenting at least one person a day, and genuinely at that. It's just something that's stuck to me since I read this little booklet titled 'Life's little rule book'. It had things like, 'make sure you buy great books even if you don't read them' and 'always keep a flower on your desk, even if it's a wild flower'. There are plenty of little rules I still follow but don't remember what they are because they've become such a habit.

Anyway, coming back to where I left off, compliments are something everybody gets. Surprisingly, even I get them. There was a time when it was impossible to handle them because I never knew how to react (these days, I've realised that the best thing to do is smile and say, "Thank you"), or I never saw myself the way people who complimented me did. I still don't. Which is why, when I got a few never-heard-of-before compliments, I was quite surprised. So surprised that I made a note of them, because I knew I'd never hear them again. Here's the list, it's not very long. Oh, by the way, it may seem like a fairly narcissistic exercise but what the heck, you only get compliments like these once!

Ahem... quoted verbatim:
1. You've got nice hands. (This from a man who thinks hands speak a lot about women, and are perhaps the most turning-on feature in her. And yes, I hit it off with him like a house on fire.)
2. There’s something you’ve done with your eyes today that makes you look ravishing. (Ooooo!)
3. You're a concept. (Well, it doesn't sound much like a compliment, but like I said, I'll probably never hear something like it ever again.)
4. You look like an old painting. (It doesn't sound too good, but {a}it came from an art director and {b}the dreamy look on his face said it all. Besides, I thought it was... charming.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm... nice hands.. wonder who said that? should i take a guess?

Unknown said...

i will definitely try to do much better with my blogs... but how come you are sure? "When i don't know where to dump my trash, I use my blogs. I'm sure you'll do muuuuuuuch better. :-) "