Monday, May 15, 2006

Life isn't exciting...or so thought Narcissa.

Everybody says, “My life lacks…you know…excitement.” I myself complain about it all the time.

For most women my age (I think), excitement predominantly stands for a…fling. (Some would disagree and say, a man.)

Not abnormal, but a craving of sorts. Sometimes I feel it too. It’s like I’ve been in and out of troubled waters all my life, and suddenly I’m faced with a bloody placid lake. (Nope, I’m not talking about the movie that goes by the same name, minus the bloody of course.)

Of course, the craving's rare because I have (thankfully) realised that I’ve had my share of men (for now). For breakfast and lunch, but never for dinner – it gives my conscience indigestion. I have also realised that even without the odd binge, my life has been, and still is, a lot of fun. I’ve done a number of things that I can look back on and say, Wow, did I actually do that?

I participated in the first Channel V Pop Stars Hunt because I wanted to miss classes. And the experience was one I’ll always remember… I sang in my ‘fairly-better-than-a-crow’ voice (or tried to sing) in front of Sandeep Chowta and Shubha Mudgal. Take it from me, VJ Gaurav’s ears are larger than life (make your own conclusions out of that) and Sushma Reddy looks like God made her using white paint – she’s that fair.

I rode on the Thunderbird of the ex-CEO (India), Royal Enfield Motorcycles. (Save your breath, I was the pillion.) This was when my friends and I went to Mahabalipuram (Chennai) for three days. On our first day there, our engineer friend spotted the CEO, walked up to him, chatted and before we knew it, he was riding the CEO’s Thunderbird. I volunteered to go along. My best friend, who was sharing this woo-mama chemistry with him at the time, has never forgiven me for riding with him. But what the heck, it was superb. And the Thunderbird… a different high altogether.

I wrote lyrics, and sang in a rap album for a rap star from…can’t remember now. Just for the record, and for the faithless, this one’s true. Another fun experience, and a pretty embarrassing one too. The rapster's name is Naresh and I remember seeing him the first time at office – he sang a rap song for K in front of the whole office on Valentine's Day. Naresh wanted me to write lyrics in Hindi – they would become the chorus of the song – and sing them. Sometimes, when I find it incredible, I listen to the CD it’s copied on to. I never, ever want to sing like that again.

I won a National Award in poetry years ago. Got nothing more to say about this one.

I, or rather my work, was the only Indian finalist among 24 finalists in the 3D Direct Mailer category at the Asia Pacific Advertising Festival. A worthwhile feat if I may say so myself, considering I've spent just three years in the profession.

I was shortlisted for the State Level Volleyball team, but I declined. I must have been insane to do that, but it's too late now for regrets. Of course, if one looks at me now, one finds it hard to believe the story. But hey, looks can be deceptive. (Ah, the joy of clichés.)

I wrote a letter to UNICEF long, long ago saying I was interested in designing cards (they still come out with them), and I’d like all the proceeds to go to UNICEF. I never heard from them. Wonder why.

Plenty, plenty more things. But this seems like enough to cheer me up when I feel like my life has been worthless. It has been and will continue being exciting, because of the things I have done. Crazy things, whacky things, stoopid things. Things that will remind me, from time to time, that I should stay that way and never lose my warped streak of adventure.

3 comments:

Kay said...

Hey,

That was refreshingly honest. You finished it too soon though. Wanted to read on and get to know more about the quiet pretty incredible you. :)

Kay said...

Ah, that's much better. Was glad to know there's more.

Anonymous said...

incredible???? sounds familiar...